This executive education program has been designed to develop strategic analysis and strategic communication skills and apply these skills as a strategic business advisor. Please click the “Purchase” button to complete your purchase.
The Strategy Academy uses the instructional advance preparation and reference materials in this site and to applies the learning in four sessions including Four eight-hour, hands-on, highly interactive sessions and using a Team-based approach, where small groups work on an actual company as a case study throughout the Academy.
The four sessions include:
Session 1: Strategy Frameworks Lab
- Learn about various strategy frameworks and understand how to identify what drives a business’s value, growth and profitability.
- Focus on the use of the Return Driven Strategy framework.
- Apply and assess the Return Driven Strategy framework in audit, tax, or accounting service engagements to provide strategic insights in improving client profitability and value.
Session 2: Value Drivers Lab
- Understand the concept of “value drivers.”
- Learn to identify the specific value drivers for a given business.
- Determine the value drivers most relevant to that business’s profitability.
- Calculate, assess and analyze how those value drivers impact profitability and growth.
- Develop a value drivers scorecard that identifies key strategic financial metrics.
Session 3: Capstone Case Preparation
Work in small groups to apply the learnings from Sessions 1 and 2 to your assigned business:
- Apply and assess the Return Driven Strategy Framework.
- Identify the value drivers.
- Determine which value drivers are most impactful to the business.
- Assess the identified value drivers.
- Develop recommendations to improve profitability and growth.
- Develop your capstone case study report.
Session 4: Capstone Case Report Delivery and Assessment
- Complete your capstone case study report.
- Present your team’s case study, including strategic analysis and recommendations.
- Receive feedback on the analysis and recommendations.
- Discuss how to implement the program learnings in your firm and address the barriers to success.
Please note that the discounted price of $59.95 for the Strategy Academy Edition is only available for students officially registered in the ICPAS Strategy Academy program.
Others purchasing the course package for executive education and applications in companies and company workshops would select the Professional Edition price of $259.95.
The Strategy Academy content is for individual use only, each course book is watermarked with and individual secure license ID, these ID’s are intended for use of the purchaser only, any sharing, copying, redistribution, or otherwise of the content is a direct violation of the license. By purchasing this course material you acknowledge and agree to abide by the rules of the individual secure license.
Included in your purchase are:
- Secure Login information for Videos for course videos that includes:
- “An Introduction to Return Driven Strategy” (20:02) — This video provides an overview of the Return Driven Strategy framework, which is the foundation for understanding the strategic risks of an organization. It will reinforce your knowledge from reading the book DRIVEN: Business Strategy, Human Action and the Creation of Wealth.
- “How to Innovate Without Going Broke” Part I Dr. Mark L. Frigo (6:27) — This video discusses how the Return Driven Strategy framework can be used to develop a focused growth strategy.
- “How to Innovate Without Going Broke” Part II Dr. Mark L. Frigo (6:49) — This video is a continuation of Part I.
- “How to Innovate Without Going Broke” Part III Terry Groff (9:01) — This video presented by Terry Groff, Chairman and CEO of Reading Bakery Systems describes how he used the Return Driven Strategy framework to drive breakthrough performance at his company. We will use this case in our sessions.
- “How to Innovate Without Going Broke” Part IV Terry Groff (11:55) — This video is a continuation of Part III. We will use this case in our sessions.
- “Career Driven Strategy” Dr. Mark L. Frigo (2:10) — This video describes how the Return Driven Strategy framework can be applied to the individual for career strategy and leadership.
- “Leadership Driven Strategy: Applying Great Business Strategy to Teams and Leaders” – Dr. Mark L. Frigo (15:47) – This presentation discusses how to apply great business strategy to teams and individual leaders within an organization.
- “Jim Hurley and Dr. Mark L. Frigo Interview – Return Driven Strategy and Genuine Assets” (33:17) — This video includes an interview with Jim Hurley Clinical Professor and Dr. Mark L. Frigo on Return Driven Strategy and the strategic role of Genuine Assets in creating long-term sustainable value.
- “Leadership Driven Strategy for High Performance Teams” (56:52) Dr. Mark L. Frigo This video describes how to use Return Driven Strategy for the individual and for teams.
- “Strategic Analysis for Management Accountants and CFOs” (1:28:03) This video describes how to use leading strategy frameworks including Return Driven Strategy
- “Strategic Risk Management: The New Core Competency” (9:55) — This video provides an overview of Strategic Risk Management using the underlying strategy framework of Return Driven Strategy. It reinforce your knowledge of how strategy and risk management must be linked.
- A digital collection of articles and monographs that will be used throughout the course, all articles are PDF download with personal copyright license watermarks. These articles will be used as reference during our course.
- “Strategic Analysis – Achieving Superior and Sustainable Performance in Today’s Global Economy” Mark L. Frigo and Kip Krumwiede, Institute of Management Accountants IMA- Statement on Management Accounting (SMA) (2020) This IMA SMA describes the leading strategy framework, how to use them and when to use them.
- “Return Driven – Lessons from High Performance Companies” — Strategic Finance (July 2008) Mark L. Frigo
- “Understand, Communicate and Execute Return Driven Strategy to Maximize Your Valuation” Strategic Investor Relations (2001) — Joel Litman
- “When Strategy and Valuation Meet – Five Lessons From Return Driven Strategy” — Strategic Finance (August 2004) Mark L. Frigo and Joel Litman
- “Return Driven Strategy – Confronting the Brutal Facts – Lessons from Good to Great”
- “Understanding Your Organization’s Genuine Assets” – Mark L. Frigo and Jim Hurley – Strategic Finance (February 2014) Mark L. Frigo
- “Creating Greater Long-Term Sustainable Value” — Strategic Finance (October 2018) – Mark L. Frigo with Dominic Barton
- “The Financial Value of Brand” — Strategic Finance (October 2019) – Bobby Calder and Mark L. Frigo
- “Strategic Life-Cycle Reviews: The Role of the CFO” Strategic Finance (October 2020) Mark L. Frigo and Bartley Madden
- “The CFO and Strategic Risk Management” Strategic Finance (January 2021) Mark L. Frigo and Richard J. Anderson
- “Leadership Driven Strategy – Applying Great Business Strategy to You and Your Teams”
- “Leadership Driven Strategy – Applying Great Business Strategy to Leadership”
- “Strategic Risk Management: A Primer for Directors and Management Teams” — eBook Digital Download with personal copyright license watermark. We will use this primer for reference during our course.
- “Strategic Risk Assessment Frameworks: A Guidebook for Management Teams” (2017) — eBook Digital Download with personal copyright license watermark Please read this Guidebook to prepare for Day 1 of our seminar course.
- “Balanced Scorecard and Strategy Maps – A Primer for Management Teams” — This primer includes an overview of the concepts and terminology of the Balanced Scorecard and Strategy Maps which we will use during our seminar course. It also includes a diagnostic quiz at the end and debrief answers. Please read this Primer to prepare for Day 1 of our seminar course and complete the online quiz “Balanced Scorecard and Strategy Maps Diagnostic Quiz”.
- “Value-Based Management – A Primer for Management Teams” — This primer includes an overview of the concepts and terminology of Value-Based Management which we will use during our seminar course. It also includes a diagnostic quiz at the end and debrief answers. Please read this Primer to prepare for Day 1 of our seminar course and complete the online quiz “Value Based Management Diagnostic Quiz”.
- COSO Report (2020): Creating and Protecting Value: Understanding and Implementing ERM (COSO 2020)
- COSO Report (2011): Embracing ERM: Getting Started (COSO 2011)
- “SASB Metrics, Risk and Sustainability” Strategic Finance (April 2020) Frigo and Whittington
- “Strategic Risk Management at the LEGO Group” Strategic Finance February 2012
- “Strategic Risk Assessment: A First Step for Risk Management and Governance” Strategic Finance December 2009
- “The Balanced Scorecard: 20 Years and Counting” Strategic Finance October 2012
- “Strategic Analysis—Methods for Achieving Superior and Sustainable Performance” IMA SMA – 2020 – Frigo and Krumwiede
- “Strategic Analysis and the Management Accountant” – Strategic Finance – May 2020 – Frigo and Krumwiede
- “Strategic Valuation in the New Economy” Strategic Finance (October 2021) Mark L. Frigo
- “Strategic Management of Cybersecurity Risks” Strategic Finance (January 2022) Frigo and Guccione
- “Achieving Purpose Through Innovation” Strategic Finance (July 2021) Frigo and Koenig
- “Sustainability Strategies and Net-Zero Goals” Strategic Finance (April 2022) Frigo, Kaplan and Ramanna
- “Return Driven Strategy – A Guidebook for Strategic Business Advisors” – Mark L. Frigo — This executive guidebook describes the Return Driven Strategy framework. It is designed to be used by Strategic Business Advisors to think strategically and communicate strategically about their clients and to help clients improve profitability, Value Drivers and valuation growth. We will use this guidebook in our Strategy Academy sessions, applying it to the Reading Bakery Systems case, your clients and the Strategy Academy capstone case.
The above listed materials are all intended for academic use only. All content is under copyright of Mark Frigo, Joel Litman, Center for Strategy, Execution, and Valuation, Valens Research, and the Institute of Strategy and Valuation and may not be distributed with permission.