The Secret to Gourmet Dining at Home: Elevate your cooking experience with this mindfulness tip! [Friday: Mindfulness by Miles]
Miles Everson’s The Business Builder Daily speaks to the heart of what great marketers, business leaders, and other professionals need to succeed in advertising, communications, managing their investments, career strategy, and more.
A Note from Miles Everson:
We hope you’re having a great Friday.
Let’s talk about an awesome health and mindfulness tip in today’s “Mindfulness by Miles.” In these articles, our goal is to help you improve both your work life and personal life.
Excited to know about today’s topic?
Read on to learn the health benefits of exercising mindfulness in the kitchen.
Mindfulness by Miles
In a past “Mindfulness by Miles” article, we talked about mindful eating, or the practice of paying FULL attention to the taste, texture, and smell of your food, as well as your physical and emotional responses to such stimuli.
There, we highlighted some of the practice’s benefits such as:
- Appreciation for the food on the table
- Greater satisfaction and enjoyment while eating
- Greater self-awareness and control
- More intuitive and healthier eating habits
Today, we’ll continue on with a similar discussion but with a focus on a different aspect of the kitchen. It’s…
According to Miles Everson, CEO of MBO Partners, mindful cooking is like a culinary meditation. It’s about slowing down, engaging your senses, and truly immersing yourself in the process of creating a meal. Some of the key aspects of this practice are present-moment awareness, sensory awareness, non-judgment, gratitude, and slowness.
Just as mindfulness meditation helps you stay present and aware, mindful cooking does the same for your time in the kitchen.
Transforming Your Culinary Experience: The Benefits of Mindful Cooking
Do you ever find yourself rushing through meal preparation, barely noticing the ingredients you’re using?
Before you know it, your plate is empty, and you can’t even remember what your food tasted like.
If your answer to the question above is yes, don’t worry. You’re not alone. In today’s fast-paced world, it’s all too easy to fall into that trap. Everson says he experiences that too!
Thankfully, there’s a delicious remedy for this culinary autopilot in the form of mindful cooking! Let’s explore the wonderful benefits it offers.
- Reduced Stress: Have you ever felt like cooking is a chore, as if it’s just another item to check off on your daily to-do list? According to Everson, mindful cooking transforms this routinary experience into a stress-relieving activity. As you focus on the task at hand, your worries and anxieties fade into the background.
- Enhanced Creativity: Everson states when you’re fully present in the kitchen, you become more attuned to the flavors and textures of different ingredients. This heightened awareness helps spark your creativity, leading to culinary experiments and flavor combinations you might not have considered otherwise!
- Improved Health: Everson believes mindful cooking also encourages you to make healthier food choices. You become more conscious of the nutritional value of the ingredients you use, which then leads to better eating habits and improved overall health.
- Greater Appreciation: Mindful cooking fosters a deep appreciation for the food you prepare. As you do this, Everson says you’ll start to recognize the effort that goes into growing, harvesting, and transporting the ingredients. This sense of thankfulness can make your meals more meaningful.
- Connection to Culture: Food is often deeply connected to culture and tradition. So, when you practice mindful cooking, Everson states you have the opportunity to explore different cuisines, cooking techniques, and rich histories behind various dishes.
- Enhanced Relationships: For Everson, cooking mindfully is a wonderful social activity. When you prepare meals with your loved ones, you create a space for bonding and shared experiences. Everson believes this can also be a way to teach others about the joys of cooking and the importance of mindful eating.
So, now that you know some of the benefits of mindful cooking, the next question is:
How can you get started in this practice?
Everson shares a few simple steps:
- Set the Mood: Create a pleasant and clutter-free cooking environment with good lighting and calming music.
- Engage Your Senses: As you cook, pay attention to the colors, textures, smells, and sounds of the ingredients and cooking process.
- Stay Present: Whenever your mind starts to wander, gently bring it back to the task at hand. Focus on your sensations and actions in the kitchen.
- Express Gratitude: Take a moment to appreciate having the opportunity to cook. Consider where your food comes from and the journey it took to reach your kitchen.
Everson says he’s been personally having a great time cooking different kinds of dishes in his kitchen recently. It gives him great joy to be able to serve his family through this act and see them enjoy what he cooks.
Experiencing these feats because of mindful cooking also helps boost Everson’s confidence. Such an activity also strengthens the bond of his family.
He hopes you’ll consider this delectable journey into the heart of your kitchen too!
The next time you’re preparing a meal, remember to take a deep breath, engage your senses, and let the magic of mindful cooking transform your culinary experience.
You’ll see—your taste buds, well-being, and loved ones will thank you for that!
Have fun in the kitchen!
(This article is from The Business Builder Daily, a newsletter by The I Institute in collaboration with MBO Partners.)
About The Dynamic Marketing Communiqué’s
“Fridays: Mindfulness by Miles”
High-performance businesses are run by people who think and act differently.
In other words, these are people who are high-performing individuals.
Companies and individuals of this kind have found ways to escape the grind of commoditization and competition by focusing on the RIGHT goals.
High-performing businesses and individuals are also “return driven” businesses and “career driven” individuals. They conscientiously develop unique capabilities and resources that allow them to deliver offerings in ways no other firm or individual can.
Every Friday, we’ll publish tips and insights from MBO Partners and The I Institute’s “The Business Builder Daily” newsletter.
These will help you gain knowledge on the things that Miles Everson, the CEO of MBO Partners, often talks about regarding the future of the workforce.
We’ll also highlight other mindfulness advice on how you can be a high-performing individual both in your career and personal life.
Hope you’ve found this week’s insight interesting and helpful.
Stay tuned for next Friday’s “Mindfulness by Miles!”
Head of Marketing
Valens Dynamic Marketing Capabilities
Powered by Valens Research