The Calm WITHIN The Storm: Unleash your inner strength with this global CEO’s mindfulness hack! [Friday: Mindfulness by Miles]
Miles Everson’s The Business Builder Daily speaks to the heart of what great marketers, business leaders, and other professionals need to succeed in advertising, communications, managing their investments, career strategy, and more.
A Note from Miles Everson:
Hello and happy Friday, everyone!
Welcome to today’s edition of “Mindfulness by Miles!”
Every Friday, we share various health and mindfulness topics that we think would be useful in your everyday life. Our hope is that these insights will encourage you to enhance the physical, mental, emotional, and social aspects of your health.
Today, allow us to share with you a few tips about calmness.
Read on to learn the importance of staying calm and how you can do so when you know you’re about to get stressed.
Mindfulness by Miles
Stress has become an unwelcome companion in a lot of people’s lives. Whether it’s a demanding job, a hectic schedule, or a constant barrage of information, stress seems to lurk around every corner.
… but did you know there’s a way to not let stress affect you negatively?
An invaluable antidote to this modern-day affliction is staying calm. Beyond its soothing effects, maintaining a sense of calmness holds a range of remarkable health benefits.
In this article, we’ll explore the science-backed advantages of staying calm and provide practical strategies to embrace tranquility in the face of stress.
Photo from Lion’s Roar
The Science Behind Staying Calm
Staying calm involves understanding the intricate interplay between the brain and body. When you encounter stress, the emotional processing hub of your brain instantly triggers the sympathetic nervous system. This causes a surge in adrenaline and cortisol, hormones that prepare your body for a “fight or flight” response.
On the other hand, embracing calmness activates an entirely different reaction. Here, the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for promoting relaxation and restoration, takes the reins. This leads to a decrease in heart rate and blood pressure.
Hence, staying calm enhances your emotional well-being and contributes to a healthier physiological state. This contrasts sharply with the negative impacts of chronic stress.
As someone who’s been in the workforce for 30+ years now, MBO Partners CEO Miles Everson says he can truly attest to the harmful effects of stress on the body, not just physically but also mentally, emotionally, and socially.
That’s why he’s really BIG on calmness and helping others embrace such a state. He says whenever he remains calm amidst chaos, he personally feels like nothing and no one will be able to easily shake him out of that peaceful state. This also helps him harness his inner strength.
So, what are the benefits of staying calm?
- Enhanced mental clarity: Stress impairs cognitive function by making it difficult to concentrate, remember things, and make decisions. By cultivating calmness, you improve your ability to think critically and approach challenges with clarity.
- Strengthened immune system: Research suggests that chronic stress weakens the immune system, leaving you more susceptible to illnesses. Conversely, staying calm activates the body’s relaxation response, thereby reducing inflammation and boosting immune function. In short, by fostering calmness, you fortify your natural defense mechanisms.
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases: High stress levels have been linked to a variety of chronic conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes. Meanwhile, cultivating calmness through techniques like meditation and deep breathing helps lower blood pressure, decrease heart rate, and improve overall cardiovascular health.
- Better sleep quality: Stress significantly disrupts sleeping patterns, leading to insomnia and restless nights. By staying calm, you promote relaxation, allowing your bodies to unwind and drift into deep, restorative sleep. Adequate sleep, in turn, enhances your mood, memory, and overall well-being.
Everson also shares some practical tips to stay calm when you know you’re about to get stressed:
- Meditate: Meditation involves being fully present in the moment and observing your thoughts and feelings without judgment. Doing regular meditation exercises such as mindful breathing anchors yourself in the present and reduces your stress levels.
- Do some physical activities: Physical exercise not only benefits the body but also acts as a potent stress reliever. Engaging in activities such as yoga, walking, or dancing releases endorphins, the body’s natural mood-enhancing chemicals, helping alleviate stress and promote calmness.
- Prioritize self-care: Make self-care a non-negotiable part of your routine. Set aside time each day for activities that nourish your mind, body, and soul. Whether it’s reading a book, taking a bath, or indulging in a particular hobby, prioritizing activities that you enjoy will bring relaxation.
- Practice deep breathing: When stress begins to mount, take a moment to focus on your breath. Deep breathing techniques, such as 4-7-8 breathing, activate the body’s relaxation response, thereby soothing the nervous system and promoting calmness.
- Establish a support system: Share your thoughts and concerns with trusted friends and/or family members. Expressing your emotions and seeking support from loved ones help alleviate stress and provide a sense of comfort and reassurance.
In a world that often glorifies busyness and rewards constant productivity, it’s crucial to recognize the profound health benefits of staying calm.
By embracing calmness, you not only nurture your overall well-being but also bolster your immune system and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
When you incorporate simple yet powerful strategies like mindfulness, exercise, and self-care into your daily life, you can navigate stressful situations with grace and resilience.
We hope you find today’s topic empowering and helpful!
Remember: Calmness is not a sign of weakness but a gateway to optimal health and inner peace. So, embrace the serenity within you and unlock the transformative power of staying calm!
(This article is from The Business Builder Daily, a newsletter by The I Institute in collaboration with MBO Partners.)
About The Dynamic Marketing Communiqué’s
“Fridays: Mindfulness by Miles”
High-performance businesses are run by people who think and act differently.
In other words, these are people who are high-performing individuals.
Companies and individuals of this kind have found ways to escape the grind of commoditization and competition by focusing on the RIGHT goals.
High-performing businesses and individuals are also “return driven” businesses and “career driven” individuals. They conscientiously develop unique capabilities and resources that allow them to deliver offerings in ways no other firm or individual can.
Every Friday, we’ll publish tips and insights from MBO Partners and The I Institute’s “Business Builder, The Independent Minds” newsletter.
These will help you gain knowledge on the things that Miles Everson, the CEO of MBO Partners, often talks about regarding the future of the workforce.
We’ll also highlight other mindfulness advice on how you can be a high-performing individual both in your career and personal life.
Hope you’ve found this week’s insight interesting and helpful.
Stay tuned for next Friday’s “Mindfulness by Miles!”
Head of Marketing
Valens Dynamic Marketing Capabilities
Powered by Valens Research